We’ve all heard stories about crazy work perks. From office beer taps to free botox, companies are always trying to find new and inventive ways to attract top talent with employee benefits.
This has become even more important for companies amid the Great Resignation, with dissatisfied employees leaving in their droves for pastures new. Employee benefits have become a crucial part of staff retention and recruitment.
But, when it boils down to it, what do employees really want? Often, it’s flexibility, trust and a good work-life balance.
So with that in mind, we have rounded up the UK tech companies with the best employee benefits. You’ll find no gimmicks here, just genuinely lovely benefits that help employees feel valued.
UK tech companies offering the best employee benefits
Since 2004, Indeed has helped millions of people to find their next job. Plus, the recruitment company now employ a staggering 10,000 people!
Indeedians, as the company describes its staff, seem to be very happy too with 86% of employees saying that it is a great place to work. Here are some of the perks and benefits that people rate.
- Employee assistance programme: Employees have access to in-person counselling, financial guidance, legal help, childcare service finder and more for free.
- GOODdeeds: Indeed matches up to $500 (or equivalent) of charitable donations per employee.
- Medical, dental and vision: Coverage is available for Indeed employees and their families, including spouses, children, and domestic partners.
- Adoption assistance: Indeedians are eligible to receive up to $10,000 (or equivalent) for eligible expenses for up to two adoptions.
- Pet insurance: Indeed’s insurance options don’t just cover employees, they even extend to their furry friends!
Next up we have US vacation rental company Airbnb. Founded in 2008 in California, Airbnb has enjoyed exponential growth in the last decade or so, culminating in a public listing in 2020. The brand now has 23 offices across the globe, including London.
Airbnb is an appealing choice for employees and it frequently pops up in employee wellbeing surveys as a shining example of how companies can improve their employer brand.
So, how is this American brand winning UK talent? Here are the top perks and benefits that make it so appealing.
- Travel stipend: One of the most coveted Airbnb benefits is an annual travel stipend that allows employees to experience different Airbnbs around the world.
- Generous leave: In addition to work from home options and flexible housing, Airbnb offers employees a variety of different family and parental leave options.
- Free food and snacks: While this isn’t relevant if you’re working from home, so many employees have commented on the “restaurant-quality” food in the office that we thought it was worth including.
- Free health coverage: Medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and disability benefits are all major pros to working at the company.
Klarna has made waves in the tech world, arriving in the UK in 2016. Founded in Sweden, the online payment company grew exponentially during the pandemic as more shopping moved online.
With over 200 staff members across the country, this tech giant currently has two UK offices, one in London and one in Manchester. Here are just some of the employee benefits Klarna’s offering its UK staff.
- Generous annual leave: Employees can enjoy 33 days’ holiday every year.
- Share options: Benchmarked to US tech companies.
- Financial incentives: Employees get an annual bonus if they hit their targets.
- Insurance: Klarna offers staff top-end life, travel and health insurance.
- Enhanced pensions: The company matches staff members’ contributions up to 5%.
- Added extras: Employees also get a free Plus account on the Freetrade app, plus regular team lunches with some of London’s best food.
US payment giant PayPal’s main UK offices are located in Richmond, London, on the banks of the Thames. It also has an office in London’s West End.
According to the company’s website, the UK teams are diverse including sales, credit, product and marketing, to finance, legal and technical engineering. In 2019, it won the UK’s Best Workplace award in the large company category.
Here are the employee benefits that staff value the most.
- Medical coverage: All permanent employees and their family members have medical cover including dental care.
- Free fitness classes: UK PayPal employees can enjoy free fitness classes at the Richmond campus.
- Sabbaticals: Full and part-time employees are eligible to request a 4-week sabbatical after completing 5 years of continuous service with PayPal.
- Free massages: Workers can get rid of any Monday morning stress with a free 15-minute chair massage every week.
- Commuting expenses: Employees can save money on the cost of commuting.
- Better sleep: Free unlimited access to the Calm app for employees and family members.
Since launching in 2015, Monzo has grown from a daring startup into a fully-fledged online bank valued at more than $4.5bn.
The company has offices in London, Cardiff and San Francisco but employees work remotely, too. According to its website, Monzo employs approximately 1,600 people. Let’s take a look at some of the perks and benefits it is using to keep them happy.
- Career progression: Managers review salaries every six months, which is a great perk if you want to climb the ladder.
- Flexible working hours: However, it’s worth noting this doesn’t apply to the customer operations team as they have set shifts.
- Generous annual leave: 24 days a year plus bank holidays. Or, if you’d rather work on public holidays you can take those days at another time. Plus some staff can get three months’ unpaid leave per year.
- Learning budget: £1,000 a year for books, training courses and conferences.
- Family leave: Paid maternity, paternity, adoption or shared parental leave.
You can find more companies with great perks on our job board.
This article is part of a partnership with careers marketplace Jobbio to share the most exciting UK tech jobs with UKTN readers.